Language: That strange thing we know



So...I have a new obsession.  K-Pop.  I love it.

I heard my cousin play one song and I was hooked enough to go do some extreme research of my own.  I now not only want to learn martial arts, I want to speak Korean as well.

I don't consider myself a person of strong obsessions or quick changes in interest, but I guess I don't know myself yet.  And I wonder if I ever will.

I'm supposed to be doing school; writing one of 5 essays due.  But of course I'm procrastinating.  I was just sitting here in my round brown corner chair and thinking about nothing, or how much I hated school, when I had an interesting thought.  My little sister Jewel was sitting on the edge of the bed and playing with her doll and she said some words in a sentence that didn't quite make sense but she was obviously trying them out.  And I thought to myself, Here I am, witnessing someone learn a language.

How strange.  I never thought about it before, but every child is in fact learning a language.  Learning what the words dog, house, and amphibian mean.  Learning how to put them into a sentence so that it makes sense.  Learning how to communicate.

Language.  What a strange word to define a strange thing.

In my research of K-Pop music and bands I have watched a few interviews of Korean bands, both with subtitles and not.  I find it ridiculously cute when the band members try to speak in English and I have to laugh at myself when I try to translate the words they say or mumble along to their Korean song lyrics.

I would love to watch the interaction that would go on between toddlers of different nationalities.  I'm sure they would get along better, communication wise, than two adults, but I wonder how much their different languages skills would come into play?

I love to sit and watch things and think.  Having some mood setting music in the background is a great bonus.  But seriously, I could sit and stare at a tree for forever if I didn't have to worry about anything.

I know I don't say a lot, but that doesn't mean that I don't have stuff to say.  It's just so overwhelming in my mind I have a hard time getting it out.  Also I love to overthink what I'm going to say before I spit it out.  Sometimes I feel like the Ents from Lord of the Rings.  "Hi!" *two hours later* "How are you?"

Reflective thoughts.


Comments