Heartbreak




****** This is a Raw post ******

Last night Miranda and I sat in our room, one us three oldest girls share. We giggled about the joys of a lazy holiday as we snuggled under our warm blankets.
Then Michaela walked into the room choking on sobs. At first, I thought it was some sort of joke, just a minute I had seen her downstairs asking the family members about a missing piece of laundry.  Was the lost shirt really that precious or was she just being dramatic? 

Not saying a word, Michaela continued to weep her heart out, leaning on her bunk bed. Miranda and I grew quiet, we could see now that she was experiencing true heartbreak. Michaela dropped to the ground with her head in her hands and Miranda and I got up to sit beside her. I rubbed her back, as we sat soberly together, watching our sister cry but not knowing why.  

After a minute her sobs quieted and she got a Kleenex. “I’m just feeling so upset about the boys” she blurted out. Of course, Miranda and I knew what she meant. The boys. Michaela’s boys. You see, for the past two months, my older sister has been in Guatemala serving at an orphanage. She was privileged to be a house parent to a wonderful group of 12 boys; It was a hard experience, a painful yet beautiful one. 

She got to experience their tantrums when they were tired, their gifts when she was sick, and their tight hugs when she had to leave.  You can’t live closely with some kids like that not become almost like family.  

“I just can’t believe they’re going to be alone this Christmas.” Michaela continued “Their house parents are leaving for the holiday and they’ll probably just have some uncaring babysitter. Yet here I am wandering around asking about a missing shirt with a closet full of clothes.” She teared up again as she went to put away her laundry.  We all thought sadly about the fact that this group of boys was facing a Christmas without a real family or a Christmas morning hug from a parent.

“I just feel so helpless and I don’t understand why the people who should be caring for them, their parents their family, aren’t even around” Michaela went on to explain to us that the best interaction they have with their parents is when the randomly visit them to say “hi” and possibly take away their toys to sell. 

My heart was crying, but I felt too angry for tears.  These children did nothing wrong, but the people who should have been giving them love, encouragement, care, praise, and kindness..were nowhere to be found. We couldn’t understand why God doesn’t choose to strike down the people who hurt innocent children like this. God is so merciful. 

I like to solve problems, but I felt like there was so little I could do.  I tried to encourage Michaela as much as I could then prayed in my heart that God would show me what my part is in this painful situation.  I logged onto Story International’s website and went to the Give tab. As I scrolled through the sponsor children’s names I looked at their little faces and realized again that these are real people. With real lives, and real suffering.  

I found her. Her name was Maria, just like mine, and I knew what I wanted to do.  I clicked the sponsor link and after filling out the required information I sent off a letter to her in an email. 

Here is part of the letter:
“...my name is Maria too! God impressed upon me to sponsor a child from your organization and when I saw your smiling face I knew you were the one who God was calling me to sponsor. I don’t know much about you right now, and you don’t know much about me, but the important thing is that we both love God and trust that He is planning out our future. I love you and Jesus does too!”

Maria is 15. She is forgiving. She is encouraging. She is a real person. 

It’s shameful when we, who are so blessed, become obsessed with our own desires. While we are complaining about our coffee orders taking too long, or not having enough money to buy another ugly sweater for a party, a little boy named Elmer is wondering why his parents didn’t want him and what he did wrong. 

What does being THANKFUL really look like?

I challenge you to think about it seriously. I’m not saying you need to go sponsor a child with Story International, but you can take a moment or two out of your busy day to thank your cashier or ask God to show you who is needing your help right now. Don’t wait either, tomorrows don’t come for everyone.

Postscript:
If you do decide to sponsor a child, don’t just pick the cutest one, scroll through them and pray that God will lead you to the one who He knows needs your love. 


Comments