Dia Dos

So...We woke up on unfamiliar ground.  The mission bunk house is quite a big room, with seven large screen windows and six high fans.  There weren't any bunks in the bunk house yet, so we slept on mattresses on the floor. That first night we were so tired we didn't really care were we slept and I think we all managed to sleep pretty decently.

We woke up around 6:30 because of loud birds on the roof, but we probably would have woken up early without them anyway, because of the time difference.  We took turns in the curtained bathroom; boys then girls.

We did some more setting up of our room, table in the middle for snacks, water table over to the side.  We were also able to bring in a couple bed stands to sleep on.  I was one of the lucky few to get one.  After a quick bible reading, we headed next door to the McIntyre's house for a breakfast of pancakes and eggs.

We lazed around for a bit that morning, getting our bearings and making a schedule for our time spent there.  Then Becka, Miranda, and Ms Brandi all went for a walk to get some papers printed, and I stayed home to help the McIntyre kids with their school.  MK is adorable and loves the girl attention.

We had a lunch of leftover pizza and sandwiches and then had a quick rest before all the girls, minus MK, went into Chiquimula to do some shopping.  The ride down to the city was...bumpy.  The dirt road was quite uneven and FULL of potholes.  I think I could easily add that ride to a redneck amusement park.

The store we went too was full of Guatemalan food and people and had a couple of uniformed guards who were carrying rather big guns.  We wove our way through the store trying not to get into the other shoppers way in the right lanes and keep up with Ms Brandi's speedy shopping.  I got left with one of the carts once while Ms Brandi went to get something and a lady started speaking fluent Spanish to me after I said "Gracias".  After a moment of freaked out embarrassment I quickly explained that I didn't in fact speak Spanish.

After the grocery store, we drove back "home" over the Guatemalan redneck roller coaster.  We packed some gift bags for pastors in the villages and had a little down time before eating some delicious spaghetti and meatballs and zucchini.
Then we headed back to the bunk house for showers and sleep.  I was SO exhausted and slumpy.  Even though I had done like nothing that day!  I guess it was the jet lag and heat.  And being in a different country.

I wonder how my endurance will be when I get back home?

Interesting thoughts.

Comments