Day 4:

So...I woke up early, again.  Is this going to be a habit? Probably.  I think it's the time difference.  John read us a scripture verse to encourage us through the day and we got dressed and ready for the school visit.  There was a bit of confusion trying to figure out what exactly we were going to do at the school, but we finally got it mostly ironed out.  We tumbled into Mr Daniel's truck and took the Guatemalan redneck roller coaster down and up to the school.  We walked into a large concrete room with high windows and no fans.  Hot and humid.  The kids started coming in, bringing their desks with them since the room was completely empty.  I guess they take their desks around with them to all their classes?

Mr Daniel told us that they were acting a little fancy since we were there. I thought that was funny.  Once the kids had finally finished filing in we walked up and started the lesson.  I felt very unqualified and unprepared, but I think everyone else felt even slightly less so, so I kinda took charge and let everyone know what they could do.  Of course, Mr Daniel led the whole thing and helped to translate, speak, and basically lead us along.  We asked the kids some icebreaker questions and then Mr Daniel and I did the lesson, which consisted of me stumbling along in English and Mr Daniel taking my words and making them make sense in Spanish.  We finished it off with one of the school kids praying and then we did a crazy ballon game.

It was boys against girls, and I think the boys had an advantage.  At least the lesson we talked about was how to use self control when you're angry.  We passed out balloons and string and everyone tied the ballon to their ankles.  Then Mr Daniel said Go! Mayhem ensued.  But it was fun mayhem.  I got very hot running around and trying to dodge boys feet while simultaneously trying to pop their balloons.  I failed the first time, but i survived for a little while the second time.  Overall, I think they had a lot of fun and I know I did.  Of course, our gorgeous cousin Becka picked up a couple of admirers.  Apparently blonde hair and light eyes and skin is considered most beautiful in Guatemala.

We headed back out to the van and in that terrible heat I was so glad that I had the slight foresight to pack a fan.  I only wish I had brought a couple more.  We passed the fan around and tried to keep cool on our way to lunch at the mall.

That mall was my first real feeling of normal civilization since we left the airport.  It was large and air-conditioned, so nice.  I had some so good pizza.  I felt bad eating non Guatemalan food in Guatemala, but hey, it's called my diet.  I also had some awesome horchata that tasted like Christmas.

After a awesome lunch, we traveled to the hospital with Ms Brandi and handed out bags of goodies and stuffed animals to the children in the wards.  I felt so heartbroken seeing all those children and people in the broken down hospital.  I saw one baby left by itself wrapped in hot dirty blankets and lying on a bed with no sheets.  I so wish I could have spoken the language and been able to communicate more personally with everyone.

We met a man who played guitar for a church we were going to visit, and his wife and his little daughter.  We also met a boy who named Eric who had problems that ha effected him since child birth. He was a little scared of light skinned people so he hid in his fathers shoulder for most of the time.  We also met met some happy couples who had the most adorable babies in the world.  We prayed for them all and said good bye before the loudspeaker announced that it as time to leave.

We stopped on our way home for some coconut milk.  I thought it was quite good, but some of the other kids weren't a fan.  We made it home before the rain and hungrily checked our social media.  It kinda hurts to not have wifi or data.  But I suppose it's a good kind of stretching.

At dinner we had some interesting convo on wether or not "drowding" was a word.  We found it in the urban dictionary so we agreed to call it a tie.

After another luscious dinner we headed over for some more cold showers and went to bed.  We are such boring people in the evenings.  Too tired to do any kind of partying. Haha.

I almost can't type this.  Ahh, such a wimp.  I wonder if I will feel more energized in the evenings by the time this trip is over? Prop not.

Tired thoughts.

Comments